Saturday, August 11, 2012

Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream

When I was 16 years old I met Bubba for the first time. It was love at first sight. The next year he asked me to come with his family to meet his extended family in New Orleans and attend Endymion's Ball at Mardi Gras. I wore one of my prom dresses and borrowed a jacket from my mom. It was thrilling!! That was the same trip that I tasted creole cream cheese ice cream for the first time. It was also thrilling!! I didn't like sour flavors much at the time but I loved this!! If you have an ice cream maker (make sure yours is a stainlees steel one as the cream cheese will react with steel and give you a matalic taste to your ice cream)  you really need to try this!! It's GREAT on the side of fruit pies!!...but it's better all by itself!

12 oz. Creole cream cheese
 2 cups whole milk
1 cup cream
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 T. vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and eggs. Whisk until fluffy and pale yellow.  In a sauce pot, combine the milk and cream and gently warm. Temper the egg mixture and pour it into the milk mixture, whisking all the while. Cook until the cream is thickened. Pour through a sieve into a stainless steel bowl and cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours. When ready to use blend the Creole cream cheese into the ice cream mixture and whisk until all the lumps are removed. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment